For this 50th episode, I had the chance to chat with Larry Sharpe. Larry was candidate for the Libertarian Party nomination for Vice President of the United States in 2016 and was the Libertarian nominee for Governor of New York in 2018. Larry is the Host of a popular podcast: The Sharpe Way. He is also a business consultant and trainer with The Neo Sage Group.
In this episode, we talked about:
- Building trust as a leader by being consistent and The Oprah Effect
- The importance of being seen
- The difference between Sales/Marketing vs Operations
- Congruence as the key to effective branding
- A simple 3-questions exercise to define your brand
- A simple 3-questions exercise to define your customer
- How marketing is about managing expectations
- Getting to the top 1% of your industry by curating a niche: big fish small pond.
- The story behind running for Governor of New York in a third party
- How the key to leadership is in voluntarism not authority
- Building leadership locally or in a specific department before organizing change at a higher level.
- How great politics and great marketing start with the mandate to serve people.
Larry provides training, coaching and consulting in many industries. He has trained and coached hundreds of entrepreneurs, executives, leaders, lawyers and reps from dozens of companies all over the world.
In addition, Larry has been an interim senior executive for companies in times of crisis; filling a senior post and helping them find a replacement. He consults with law firms for jury selection and trial prep. Additionally, Larry consults on political campaigns regarding strategy and debate prep. He is also a professional speaker and has spoken at dozens of venues to a wide range of audiences throughout the US, Europe and Asia.